Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Apparently, i had two free tickets to watch the movie premiere of "Domino", some action show featuring bounty hunters. If you ask me, it looks really cheesy, but whatever. My sister won them from an online competition and passed them to me to use: "Ah, ask (him) to go with you."

(I wanted to ask but i knew you were going to be busy.) So, my dad and i were set to go, but to cut the long story short, we didn't eventually. Sayoonara free tickets~!

But that got me thinking. Now, when was the last time my dad and i went out together? Perhaps it was that Sim Lim Square trip to get a laptop adaptor. But i think that that's essentially different from going for a movie with dad. If we had gone, I wonder if people looking at us might think that he's my sugar daddy, and me, the kept woman. *Cringe*

(I've been mistaken for his wife before. *ROAR!* Hmmmm... So, i guess that means that i wasn't dressed up flashily enough to be said kept woman. hur hur, *snort*)

Anyhow, that just brought to mind how as a little girl, dad would hold my hand in his chunky ones after church service on a sunday morning as we walk toward the coffeeshop that we always patronize for brunch.
And along the way, i'd be running a song through my head and i'd let my fingers play an imaginary piano, by pressing onto dad's palm.

Little girls holding on to daddy's hands is socially acceptable, but not when the little girl has grown up.
But i AM still daddy's little girl! Just taller, looking slightly different, with pimple scars and no longer carrying assorted cutesy stationary and colouring books in a cutesy little bag.

Talking about nostalgic thoughts of the past regarding the parentals, i feel like crying as i listen to "Fly Away" by Corrinne May. It's about how her mother felt (about her daughter leaving the family and country to achieve her dreams) : Loving too much to not let her go but still hurting inside to know that her daughter will be so far away. And so as the years go by, one night she gets a call from home regarding her mother. And when she returned, well, she didn't say exactly what happened, but i guess you can assume that her mother had either left the worldly existence/was very very ill.

It's so ironic how beauty can be derived from looking tenderly at something sad.

*tear drop*

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was moving, albeit in a haphazard fashion :)

Yes, some say the definitive moment for a parent is to watch their kids come of age, but I think it's more about having the strength to let them go.

Anonymous said...

i was tinking abt writing a article abt my cos. like whats the diff between a dentists, dental assistants and us. but mu mum says it is a bad idea.watya tink?
as in send to the straits times at the last page of classified

Smile and brite

Anonymous said...

cynicholas:

*grin* arhh, my problematic state of mind, that is being in perpetual haphazardness. My mom can and will readily vouch for that.

Indeed, it must be take much inner strength to let (grown) children go after the many years of nurture, when they need to spread their wings. Guess it all of it comes in a Parent Package of sorts.

Anonymous said...

anon:

erm, no, if your article makes good sense, and endeavours to educate in a positive way, i don't see why it should be a bad idea.

Anonymous said...

The thought of a little-Jo playing "imaginery piano" into Daddy's hand just makes me go "Awwww..:D"
Hee.. I'm sure he would be glad and touched at the same time to be reminded of those heartwarming little-Jo memories.. :o)

Anonymous said...

weirong:

hello hello hello.....!!!! laa lii laaaa, sho nice to see you here, toodlee doo!

Em, i'm not sure if dad remembers, really. ok, i shall try bringing it up over dinner soon. Ah, hope the strengthening of family ties over there is going well. And well, good to hear that the folks are doing great. :-D Thanks for your email.
And wa liew... why must you remind me that i carry a brownie points score chart everywhere i go, hrmph?