Saturday, March 06, 2004

IF you'd like to hear it ...

I couldn't sleep last night.

Got into bed and i felt as if i had a springs between both my eye lids.
Couldn't keep 'em closed.

Turned to some Class 95 and left it on timer.
The hi-fi turned off before i could sleep.
And yes, there was tossing and turning.

I managed to doze off and when i came to, i checked my clock.

4:50a.m ONLY?!??!?!

More tossing and turning.

Double springs in both eyes.
I forced myself to lie in bed as long as i could.

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

Thinks to self: " Very 'SMART' JO... Came ALL by yourself."

I looked onto the field and saw people walking in leisurely, in pairs and groups.

Thinks to self; "Least you got the guts to come by self!"

And so the day begins.

While waiting for my "coach" to show up, i met a big guy named Eugene.
He has all the size and ears of a certain, usually gold coloured deity that sits upon an altar smiling...

He sits in the shade to "guard", i suppose, the book for regulars to book in.
When my "coach" came, I got my temporary card to show that i was there on LEGAL terms.

Then this other guy, named Clint came by. Thought he was just some club coach,

After they had our bows and arrows sorted out, 3 girls (incl. me) were called over to the beginners'grounds.

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

It seems that I have been taught two different methods for indoor and outdoor shooting.

At SAFRA, I was taught to pull the "string" till my hand reaches my cheek.

But today, i was taught to pull it till my hand was touching my chin.
Plus, the string had to be pressing vertically against my lips and nose.
Heehee.

The permutations of the position of where your hand is pulled to and the angle at which you hold the bow will lead to very different results.

So, with some mental and technical adjustments, things got better.
I started to hit the yellow region and red region.
But of course with some shots going WAaayyy off!

By the way, it's like this.

There're 5 rings and each has a different colour.

Outermost: white (not counted)
Second: Black
Third: Blue
Fourth: Red
Innermost, fifth: Yellow.


So after a few rounds of shooting, we had a break under one of the brollies.

Lo and Behold.

My "coach" was the President of the Archery Association of Singapore.

The "some club coach" named Clint... is the NATIONAL TEAM COACH.


But, the BEST part is...
The National Team Coach pointed at me and said to the President, whose name is Simon Wee,
"She has potential".


And before we left, both Clint and Simon said (Simon says! SO, i should obey right?) that in fact, I should go into archery.
But Simon said to just follow through the lessons and see how it goes.


I agree.

I couldn't believe my EARS.
Me?
WOW!

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

I had SO much fun.

I couldn't stop shooting.
Only when my arms started hurting did i cease for a bit.

I am now slightly but definitely unevenly sunburnt.
I have white "sleeves" now, because i wore a t-shirt.

Not only that.
My left lower arm has this funny pattern because the parts uncovered by the hand guard has been tanned.

So, my left arm looks like a cow's leg.

Well, having next lesson, next sunday.

I can't WAIT.

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** **** *** *** *** *** *** ***

Came home and blabbered everything to my dad.
About the day and the stuff below.

Here's what Simon told us:

- Archery is like Golf. Expensive.
- Size doesn't matter.
- People who come for trials for the entire day, go home radiating heat and sleep with the air con on.
- The arrows that the more pro people use are worth $60. EACH.
- With about $400 to $600, you can own a Recurve Bow and 12 arrows.
- The other pro-er bows cost at least $1500.

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

I dread the doing-of my upcoming psychology essay.
BLeah....

Till then.
*Dream, Aim, Focus, Want it, Be Sure, Go For It.*

No comments: